Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Update to "The Best Cake You'll Ever Eat" post:

I made this today and it turned out wonderful! Someone at the party actually said, "This is one of the best cakes I've ever eaten." So the name is appropriate.
I did alter the recipe somewhat.
* Instead of creme d'menthe I used peppermint extract and water (some sources said I could use grapefruit juice in place of water)
* I took everyone's advice and used chocolate cake rather than white.
* For the frosting I used 1 tub cool whip, 2/3 cup sour cream, 1 cup powdered sugar, peppermint extract, green food coloring.
* I piped melted chocolate for the greeting and dots. If this wasn't going to be for a party I would have made lines on the top like this cake. (Which, btw, I've made several times and looks and tastes wonderful too. That's also where I came up with the idea to change the frosting.)
So hats off to you Friend Traci for introducing us to this great recipe! It's a keeper!

3 comments:

Traci Piltz said...

Yay! Glad you loved it, and that someone else proclaimed it "one of the best cakes they've ever eaten." I wouldn't want to be made a liar of. :) I'm going to have to try it with the chocolate cake sometime ...

Fruitful Labor said...

My only other suggestion is to be careful how much mint you put in the frosting. With it already being in the cake it could easily too minty if you over did it with the frosting. Start with a small amount. I coincided the mint with the food coloring so I could visually see when it was well blended.

Dena said...

ugga bugga, me don't like mint. i gagged a little with this post.