Monday, September 7, 2009

Praying for Your Kids Monday
Respect

There are hundreds of things I love about Hot Jeff but one of the sweetest things about him is his respect for others. He is wired with a kind spirit and that translates to courteous to others and I appreciate that he is teaching this quality to our kids. When Jeff introduces someone new to Samuel he has taught Samuel to look the person in their eyes and say, "Nice to meet you". Now granted, Samuel is 3 so about 1/3 of the time he tucks his thumb in his mouth and curls into his Dad's leg but for the most part he does it and I always feel so proud him.

Don't we all want our friends and acquaintences to say of our children, "They are just the most polite kids!" We have to guard ourselves though on not being prideful, our kids accomplishments or behavior can lead to sinful pride. Thankfully my kids are the perfect blend of wonderful and insane to keep me from being too prideful! :)

The Bible is clear that we are to show respect. Leviticus 19:32 says, "Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God". I think it is important to teach our kids that not only do Mommy and Daddy expect it but God tells us to be respectful in His Word. Whenever you can, point your kids to God's Word.

Lord, thank You for giving us clear direction in Your Word on how to behave. I pray you will guide me to teach my kids in the right way and I pray they will have a love for Your Scriptures and long to obey You. Amen.

No comments: