Monday, January 25, 2010

Praying for Your Kids Monday

I spent the weekend at Cannon Beach at my church's women's retreat. It was awe.some. Seriously awesome. I hope to write about it but I'm not gonna lie...there is is so much information, feelings, encounters rolling in my head I'm not sure I can write about it. I need to process. In a big way. I prefer blogging to journaling so maybe you'll get all of it (like more than you want) or maybe you won't get any. We'll see.

Anyway, something that came up a lot this weekend was image management of our children in order to control the way others think about us. I am soooooo guilty of this.

Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knew our children long before we did; He knew them in our womb. He knew them before the beginning of time. He has designed them with purpose; He has plans for them. Why do I spend so much time trying to make them in to who I want them to be when the Great Creator already has a plan for them? Simple answer: because I'm a control freak even though I am the first person to tell you I am not a control freak.

My controlling comes from pure intentions (well except for the part that I want them to be "good" so that you will like me more). I want to control so they will be happy. I want to control so they will be successful. I want to control so they will avoid pain. I want to control because I love them.

I learned a whole lot of stuff this weekend that explains why this is all messed up, despite having a foundation of good intent, but for today's purpose lets just say its messed up because GOD, their CREATOR has designed them for purposes I can't even begin to fathom.

O Great Creator, You have made ___________ with purpose. I confess that I too often desire to control who _________ is becoming so that I look good or to protect him. I confess I don't ask You what __________ is made to do but instead take wild guesses. Please show me _________'s bent; please show me how to pray exactly for him so that he will grow to be the man You designed him to be. I pray that You will bring glory to Yourself through the person he is becoming. Amen.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Great post - and great prayer. I love you - Jen :)