Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'm Not Buying It

This afternoon I was picking Hot Jeff up from the chiropractor which happens to be next to a Christian church here in town. The billboard outside of their church gave their service times and then said "People Disappoint. God Doesn't."

I'm calling that church's bluff. In fact, I think its just that kind of "religious" talk that turns people off. The reason why I think it turns people off is because it makes Christianity out to be this lifestyle of rainbows and unicorns and anyone with half a brain knows that life, whether you are a Christ-follower or not, isn't rainbows and unicorns.

God does disappoint. You don't have to look any further than the disciples staring up at Jesus hanging on a cross to find people who God disappointed. It isn't because of anything God did; His plan is perfect. Nothing that happens isn't something He hasn't sifted through His loving hands but the disciples didn't know an empty grave was going to be found just 3 days later. Amongst all the emotions they felt on that Friday you can be certain disappointment was one of them.

My friend Lorelei who died in August from an 18 month battle with brain cancer was disappointed with God. Her faith was intact and strong as she took her last breaths but she would have been, and was, the first person to tell you she was disappointed in God; painfully disappointed He hadn't healed her.

Lorelei preached a message of authenticity and honesty with yourself and with God. Part of being honest and authentic with God starts by confessing disappointment. Disappointment doesn't equate a lack of trust; it doesn't equate disbelief. Confessing disappointment with God is simply a sincere admission that opens the door to an authentic relationship with God. Furthermore, I think God likes it when we're honest; He already knows how we are feeling so why not get the elephant out of the room and cry out our pain, confusion and ...disappointment.

I think disappointment with God can be a slippery slope. God is sovereign. He is supreme. He is holy. He is not to be trifled with. Nevertheless, you can express disappointment without being blasphemous and insolent. The Psalms are filled with prose of that ebb and flow between praise and bewilderment; worship and wonder.

So I'd like to say to the church on Liberty next to Hot Jeff's chiropractor: Ugh, give me a break. (Insert eye roll.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

I pondered on this for awhile. I do agree we ABSOLUTELY need to be authentic with God. Why try to be anything else? Psalm 139:1-4 tells us "O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD." So He knows our every thought before we even think it. Pretty powerful stuff.

But if you really think about what that church is proclaiming. IF we believe that God is sovereign, IF we believe his plans for us are perfect, in HIS will. Then God doesn't disappoint. Maybe we are disappointed that HIS will is not our own. Disappointed that the way we expect or want things to go don't happen. But that is the selfish part of humanity. And thank goodness HIS grace is sufficient for us in that thinking. Our pastor recently passed away from cancer. Leaving a beautiful wife and 7 kids. And it was a huge disappointment that he wasn't healed. But not a disappointment in God because his perfect will is being accomplished. A disappointment because it wasn't how I wanted or how our church wanted or how his family wanted things to go....

Love your blogs and thoughts, I am always amazed at what a powerful awesome woman you have turned out to be!

Your sister in Christ,
Dee