Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Montana Nana

Big changes are coming to my house.  My sweet Mama has moved to Oregon.

I have to tell you how it all happened because God's Hand in it has been so clear, so evident, that at times I've been dumbfounded at the simplicity with which it has fallen into place.

Of course my Mom never would have left Montana while Grama was still alive.  The reasons are so obvious I'm not even going to waste the time of typing them.  Grama died at the end of August and by January Mom was already starting to toss the idea of moving out to be with us.  She began praying about it and by the time she flew out here for Roo's birthday in February she was convinced God was giving her the ok.  All the little signs were amazing; it was truly an honor to watch God speak to mom through other people.

Once she was out here for Roo's birthday she felt total confirmation to put her house up for sale.  She went home and began packing her  house, she felt she was in "show condition" and actually put the house on the market on March 21, 2012--it sold on April 12, 2012.  Astonishing.  Especially in this market, this economy, for a little bitty house on the edge of Park City, Montana.  Astonishing.

31 days later Hot Jeff and Mom left Montana in a big-ass moving van with her SUV on a trailer behind it.

I haven't done any official research or polling but I'm pretty sure that is some sort of record when it comes to deciding to sell, time on the market, and moving time.  I'm pretty sure my Mom is going into the Guinness Book of World Records.

Hot Jeff suggested my Mom live with us for an indefinite amount of time giving her time to enjoy, adjust and rest.  She has the luxury of having no debt and huge nest egg from the sale of her house so she literally just gets to hang out with her grandkids.  I can't even put into words how excited I am to do all the things with my Mom that I haven't gotten to do the last 14 years.  Essentially I haven't lived near her as an adult.  I mean, yes, I was 21 when I moved and I had been living with her but I was in college and seriously...how incredibly young does 21 sound now that I'm 35.  I bet someday 35 will seem like childhood to me too also.

I'm excited for Saturday markets, Sunday dinners, etc...all these fun traditions that my friends have with their Mamas who live nearby.

Who I'm really excited for though: my babies.  My Mom is one of those grandmothers who thinks my kids are the greatest 2 people on the planet.  If she didn't love Jesus so much she'd make Samily her own little religion.  I'm excited that my kids are going to have a grandparent who loves to have them over for slumber parties, to take them bowling and to the movies.  I'm excited for them to have a grandparent like I did.  I can only hope that my kids will have a relationship with their Nana as I did with Gigi.

I'm sure having Mom live with us will have its ups and downs.  You can't add a new person to your house and daily routines without a fair amount of adjustments, some hard and some easy.  Fortunately, we all love each other and are good communicators but we're also pretty good and  not sweating the small stuff.  It hasn't been lost on me how blessed beyond measure I am that my husband adores my Mom and vice-versa.  It really is quite amazing how well they get a long and enjoy each other.

One thing I know I'll need to keep in check is my need for everyone to be happy, to get along, to not be frustrated with each other.  I'm a people pleaser and I long for peace and accord at any cost.  I know I will have to give Mom and Jeff or Mom and the kids or Mom and me the freedom to get annoyed and go sulk in a bedroom.  I will have to remind myself this isn't an indication that Jeff hates my Mom or that my Mom regrets moving here.  These things are normal within my family of 4, they will certainly be normal in my family of 5.  There is so much freedom in Christ; because He allows me to be who I am I can allow those I love and live with the freedom to be who they are without regret, condemnation or me trying to "fix" things.

I'm sure some real Come-To-Jesus family meetings will have to take place but I'm confident He is in this and He is good (thank you Pastor John).

No comments: