Thursday, August 27, 2009

I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus lately. It hasn't been intentional but a little bit of a "blog clog" in my brain and a lot of outside factors pulling my time and keeping me from writing. One of those things was selling our car and then looking and buying another one, which I had planned on writing all about today. But then while doing my Bible study on prayer a verse jumped out at me and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Phillipians 4:6).

We've all read this verse so many times but let's take a better look at the "petition" part. Dictionary.com defines "petition" as a formally drawn request, often bearing the names of those making the request. This bearing the names of those making the request got me thinking about my names in Christ and what it might look like if when I prayed I remembered who I was in Christ. I've been thinking about it all day, actually, can't get it off my mind because I have a feeling it could revolutionize the way I pray and I'm excited about it. Here are some thoughts going through my brain on who I am in Christ; I am...

Forgiven
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace. Ephesians 1:7

Spending eternity in heaven
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. John 6:47

Deeply Loved
Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 51:10

Protected
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34:7

Provided for
And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6: 28-30

Strenthened
For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. 2 Chronicles 16:9

Chosen and adopted
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. Ephesians 1: 4-6

Free of condemnation
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8: 1-2

Neil Anderson says in his book Victory Over the Darkness, "The more you reaffirm who you are in Christ, the more your behavior will begin to reflect your true identity". So what about my prayer behavior? How does praying with my identity in mind change the way I pray? It should change everything about the way I pray! It takes the focus off of me and shifts it to God's will and God's glory! Instead of praying for my own health, wealth, comfort and security I would pray God's will because I would know without a doubt that God's purposes are already being met in my life. Prayer becomes a time of communion and conversation; of thanksgiving and praise; of supplication for His will, not my own, to be done.

2 comments:

Amber said...

LOVE THIS.

Thanks for sharing. Really spoke to me this morning.

Anonymous said...

God has been revealing to my heart, the thing He desires most is for us to be in His presence. Just like how you love to be around your best friend, that is how we are to be with Him. When we abide in His presence we see things with different eyes, we handle situations with different grace and we have the wisdom to make the right choices without having anxiety. It's a glorious thing to have revelation of who He is and who we are in Him. Love you bunches! -Dee