Sunday, February 28, 2010

Praying for Your Kids Monday
A Servant Heart

I love going to Hearts at Home on Thursdays and seeing moms serving other moms with their kids in tow. One mother, whom I admire deeply, is in charge of the childcare on Thursday mornings and so she has to be there early to line up rooms, teachers, subs, snacks etc. She is always there with a smile and her little 4 year old is right behind her learning a wonderful lesson--serving others is like serving Jesus Himself.

This particular mom could talk and talk and talk to her son about service and ministry and he may never understand but because he is watching her, week after week, and doing it along side her while she serves with a cheerful heart rather than grumbling, he is learning that service is what we do and "with a cheerful heart" is how we do it.

Ephesians 6:7 reminds us to "serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men". I know if I were to take meals, help a neighbor, volunteer in the nursery, babysit for a friend in need like I was doing these things for Jesus Himself I probably wouldn't have the audacity to feel put out. My small gesture would be a only a start to saying thank you for the sacrifice He made for me.

Dearest Father, I confess I don't always serve others with a cheerful heart. I pray You would mold me and make me to have a servant's heart so that I would be a good example for __________. I bless him with a servant's heart that desires to serve others not so that he may boast but so that he can be obedient to Your Word. Amen.

No comments: