Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Introducing Our Newest Family Member...

I'd like you to meet Ella, our new composter. Ella, I'd like you to meet the Internet. Ella is an early birthday present from my Mom who is still trying to understand why I would ask for a composter for my birthday instead of a Louis Vuitton handbag. I can only chalk it up to an identity crisis.

I named the composter Ella because "Ela" means earth in like Greek or Arabic or Hindi or something like that and my Mom's name is Della and she's always wanted a namesake. I'm not sure she wanted something that decomposes waste to be her namesake but beggers (and people named Della) really can't be choosers now can they?

I'm so excited about my new composter that I am seriously having a hard time sleeping at night. That is not hyperbole. I literally lay there and think about waste and C/N ratios and compost tea and how it will be fabulous for my garden and blah, blah, blah.

Bestie Kara thinks composters aren't worth the "trouble" but I think she is just jealous.


8 comments:

jana said...

We love our composter. My advice: keep it close to the door that closest to your kitchen. In Oregon, when it's raining so much in the winter, you won't use it if you have to walk all the way across the backyard.

jana said...

Of course, you could always send Samuel to run across the backyard in the pouring rain...

Anonymous said...

welcome to the club my fellow composting bestie!! you will LOVE it!!! :)
Bestie Kim

Mel said...

We love our composter. Do you have a garden to feed your compost to?

Anonymous said...

LOL, "Bestie Kara doesn't think it is worth the trouble"...and for the record...not jealous...we'll see if you are still losing sleep at night over this in a year! LOL Love ya Jen!
Bestie Kara

Rachel T. said...

Weird.

Fruitful Labor said...

Hi Ella! Welcome to the family.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Welcome to the club of crazy composting moms! As my girlfriend in CA says "that is so Oregon of you" :) :) :)
Esther D