Sunday, June 21, 2009

PYKM-- Peace

I must admit, starting this series on the Fruit of the Spirit I never would have imagined this passage was so jammed pack with such good stuff. God is really teaching me a lot about characteristics I am lacking as I pray these qualities for my children. This week's topic, patience, is perhaps the most difficult to write about as it is the one I struggle with the most.

We live in a society that gives us everything we want right away. Watch TV for 30 minutes and almost all the commercials are bragging about the speed in which something is delivered. Our children are growing up in a "Your Way, Right Away" message being sent to them from all angles when in real life there will many times when they are called to wait.

Friends, we all want our kids to be patient with their siblings and their friends but the patience we're praying for this week goes so much deeper. There is so much on this topic I want to write about and I hope to get to it in my posts later this week but one thing I definitely want to touch on is the example of patience we have in Scripture. The Message states Exodus 34:6 like this:

God passed in front of him and called out, "God, God, a God of mercy and grace, endlessly patient—so much love, so deeply true—loyal in love for a thousand generations, forgiving iniquity, rebellion, and sin.

"Endlessly patient". Wow. Can you imagine being endlessly patient? With your kids? With your husband? With people you come across with? Honestly, I can't. I can be pretty patient if I put my mind to it but endlessly? That is how our loving, gracious, matchless Father is with us: endlessly patient. If our children can catch a glimpse of that patience through us than I believe God will be pleased with us and the example we are trying to set. This week our prayer is for US and our kids.

Great God of mercy, grace and endless patience, I am astounded at Your faithfulness to me. I confess that more times than I'd like to admit I am not patient with those around me, especially the little ones you've entrusted to my care. Jehovah, will you please pour Your Spirit out on me that I may have an extra measure of patience with _________ today. May I speak kindly, love generously and be endlessly patient with him as You are with me. May You be glorified through my words and actions. Amen.

No comments: