Sunday, September 27, 2009

Praying for Your Kids Monday
Guarding Their Hearts

Sunday night is family movie night at our house and tonight we busted out a "new" movie: The Little Mermaid. Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm not calling for a Disney boycott here but HOLY COW! Seriously, that little Ursela the Sea Witch is enough to scare anyone, not to mention she calls sweet little Ariel a "tramp". Just a little much for the 1 and 3 year old in my house. I think its more Curious George and Toy Story 2 for us for a few more years. There will be plenty of time for sea witches I'm sure.

While putting Emily down and praying she wouldn't have any bad dreams from what she saw I knew this week's PYKM had to be about guarding our childrens' hearts. If your kids are older Disney movies are the least of your problems; perhaps your concerns are video games, peer influence, drugs and alcohol... Pick your age--it will have an area that causes a parent to cringe.

Proverbs warns us, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life" (4:23). We can help our children by protecting their innocence for as long as we can and that includes being cautious of the things we let them watch and listen to. Taking a page from last week's PYKM, let's make a powerful statement and declare that we will be purposeful in protecting our children and guarding their hearts.

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving me _______________. During this short time that I have to raise him I pray You will guide me and lead me in what I allow him to watch, read and listen to. I pray You would give me wisdom in how to talk to him so that I am not over-bearing. I pray You would pour Your Spirit out on ____________ so that he will have discernment as he grows and he would have a keen awareness of what is not glorifying to You. Amen.

No comments: