Monday, June 14, 2010

Praying For Your Kids Monday
Yahweh

(yah-WEH)

This week's name of God is jammed packed with information; way too much information for me to provide in one blog post. I really encourage you to buy Ann Spangler's book, if for only for these 14 pages. She goes in to such amazing detail about this name and reading it this morning (after I found my book, of course) I was struck with how complex our God is. We simply cannot fathom with our human minds and hearts His character, His complexity and His awesomeness. This chapter is amazing.

Spangler writes, "The name Yahweh occurs more than 6800 times in the Old Testament. Yahweh is the name that is most closely linked to God's redeeming acts in the history of His chosen people. We know God because of what He has done. When you pray to Yahweh, remember that He is the same God who draws near to save you from the tyranny of sin just as He saved His people from tyrannical slavery in Egypt."

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD [Yahweh], the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation." Exodus 3:14-15

Again, in referring to this passage, Spangler writes, "The mysterious self-description in Exodus 3:14, "I AM WHO I AM," may convey the sense that not only God is self-existent but that He is always present with His people. Yahweh is not a God who is remote or all of the One who is always near, intervening in history on behalf of His people. The knowledge of God's proper name implies a covenant relationship. God's covenant name is closely associated with His saving acts in Exodus. The name Yahweh evokes images of God's saving power in the lives of His people."

Read Psalm 103:1-13...where LORD is written you can insert Yahweh and sing this praise to the God who fights for you, who fights for your children. To the God whose name forever means deliverance, freedom, promise and power.

Yahweh, I bow before You for the deliverance and redemption You have brought in my life. You continually part seas in my life and in my heart and bring victory over darkness. I pray for _________ today and I pray You will forgive her sin, heal her disease, redeem her life from the pit. I pray You will crown her with love and compassion and satisfy her desires with good things. Yahweh, You are compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love; thank you for blessing _________ and not treating her as her sins deserve. Your love is great for those who fear You. Amen.

No comments: